Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Them what can translate real nice

Since I'm nearing the end of weeks and weeks spent slowly watching the 15-1/2 hour Fassbinder miniseries "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (which I in no way, shape, or form purchased illegally on bootleg DVDs from eBay), I was trying to read this German website about one of the film's stars, Gottfried John, who is simultaneously one of the most amazingly ugly and beautiful people in the world. Since it was all in German, I hit the translate button and got an intensely garbled version of English. The site kept referring to John as "it" instead of "he," and it even bizarrely translated into English the last names of several directors of German and Austrian origin. So, Rainer Werner Fassbinder became Rainer Werner Barrel Binder and Billy Wilder became Billy of Savages. I think they also got way too literal in translating some German film titles. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing "Police Call 110 Arms of Pigs" and "In the Visor of the Bad One" are not the actual titles of these films.

1 comment:

Spacebeer said...

If anyone thought maybe they _wouldn't_ like watching a 15 1/2 hour German mini-series from the eighties based on a German novel from the twenties, I've got to say -- Berlin Alexanderplatz is no ordinary 15.5 hour miniseries. In fact, its totally awesome. And this guy (Rheinhold) is so creepy but also pitiful and a little forgiveable in a weird way, even though he does horrible things. Ach - its too early in the morning for me to get into my detailed feelings about this miniseries. Let me just say (for now) that it is awesome and should be watched by all.