Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Maybe someone can help me understand my conflicted feelings about the Pixies

Dear Internet and other nets,
Can someone explain the absolute devotional worship most people seem to have for the Pixies? People just go apeshit for the Pixies like they are the only band that ever existed. Let me say for the record that I think the Pixies are a very, very good band. I have all their albums, I still listen to them, and I think they have a handful of truly great songs. But, and this is a big but, I don't think they are one of the all-time greats. All of their albums have a lot of filler and the production on some of the albums is pretty damn slick. I don't see what distinguishes them as the leader of the pack in that mostly great group of 80's post-post-punk, pre-alternative college rock bands like Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, Dinosaur Jr, blahbitty blah. Also, I think the Breeders and the first two Frank Black albums are miles better than anything the Pixies ever did. I know I am (deeply) in the minority on this one. I like the Pixies an awful lot. But I just don't get the love. Can someone please explain the love?
Sincerely,
Me

5 comments:

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Josh Krauter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

um, i know i've been talking about the pixies a lot lately for one big reason, and that's mainly because they're just everywhere right now. with the new tour there's been a lot of press too, and so it's just got me thinking about the pixies more often.

i know for me i love the pixies because they were my "first" you know? the first band i ever heard that made me go "holy shit..." that means now i have a devotion to them the same way i do the first boy i ever kissed, the first boy i ever slept with, etc. "firsts" are hard to get over. but that's just my story.

xoxo
amanda
a.k.a receptionista

Anonymous said...

See, and for me, it's all about the Kim Deal. Frank Black is an insane genius and I love love love his solo work (in particular, I adore Frank Black and the Catholics). I just can't get into the Pixies, much as I want to, and I like to hold Kim Deal responsible.

-Heather, visiting via receptionista
littlecabbage.com