Friday, August 20, 2004

More shameless self-promotion

I love making mix tapes. It's a great stress alleviator, and I usually end up making at least a couple a week. At times, my mix-taping making has bordered on the weirdly obsessive, and I think I made 10 or 11 in a week once. That's why the whole MP3, download, iTunes, CD burning revolution thing going on now makes me a little nervous. I drive a 1989 car with a tape deck, and that's where I listen to my mixes, usually. I want to be able to buy cassettes for the rest of my life, because I've honed my craft and perfected my skills on the 90-minute cassette format. Two separate, 45-minute sides. That's how I operate. That's my metier. That's my raison d'etre, baby. Mix CDs don't work for me with their measly, one-sided, 80-minute running time, and I can't afford an i-pod. Also, I like leaving my apartment, going to the record store, seeing actual people, buying CDs with cover art and liner notes, and lots of blank tapes. I even enter my mix-tape track listings on the Art of the Mix, a website for freakish mix-tape makers like myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

josh-
we need to start a band.
-joel