Friday, April 01, 2005

Forget the Pope, this is much more important

My favorite living songwriter, Neil Young, and my favorite living writer, Barry Hannah, both escaped near-death experiences this week. Young had a brain aneurysm but is expected to make a full recovery and Hannah was hospitalized in Austin all last week in the critical care unit (he's currently a visiting professor in San Marcos) for an undisclosed illness, but is also expected to make a full recovery. Both of these guys' entire careers are hotwired into my synapses and have had a huge influence on me. I'm glad they're still alive. What more could the Pope do? His best days are behind him. He jumped the shark in 2000 or '01. Long live Barry Hannah and Neil Young.
Currently reading: The Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy
Listening to: Dinosaur Jr - Bug
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

No comments: