Wednesday, October 20, 2004

This Microwave World, Round 3

It's not often that I find myself sharing a drink with someone who I advocated punching in the face, but that's what happened to me last night at Club DeVille. As most of you reading this already know, I was not the biggest fan of local band This Microwave World, and I jokingly suggested that punching singer/guitarist Sean O'Neal in the face would get you into heaven. O'Neal happens to work at my favorite video store, and he found out about my little rant. We had a brief, mildly confrontational, awkward exchange about it at the video store a few weeks ago, and I worried about ending up on some kind of video-store blacklist. We both happened to be drinking at Club DeVille last night, and he bought me a shot and talked with me about the whole thing. We had a pleasant, respectful conversation, and he seemed like a very nice guy. I almost feel bad about all the nasty things I said about him and his band. I was definitely exaggerating my own prejudice against anyone sporting an indie-rock "look" and trying to make my friends laugh. At the risk of sounding like a back-pedaling wimp, I don't hate his band as much as I said I did. I think the reason they struck such a powerful chord of dislike in me is that they are a band too concerned with image and fashion and are good enough players to be doing so much more with the skills they have. They're good at synthesizing a small group of influences from a few eras in rock that are particularly fashionable right now, basically post-punk with a new wave beat. It's been done and done too often. If you want to create some art, why be so self-conscious about it? Why not throw every single influence you have in the blender and see what happens? O'Neal told me his band has a lot of different influences and the sound is evolving and that I should check them out in nine months and see what I think. That sounds interesting, though I'll look like a jerk if I still dislike the music and a pussy if I say it's good. I'll try to be honest about it either way. He told me my blog entry was the first negative criticism his band has received and that he appreciated it. He also told me a few people at the video store wanted to kick me out but I should feel free to continue to rent videos there, though I am listed on their computer as the customer who wants to punch Sean O'Neal in the face. This whole weird feud thing has turned into an interesting experience, and I've definitely changed my mind about O'Neal based on last night's conversation. He seemed like a thoughtful guy, and I've got respect for him for thinking about my criticism, buying me a drink, and confronting me.

3 comments:

Spacebeer said...

So does this mean we should punch you in the face instead?

Josh Krauter said...

Yes

Traci Drummond said...

ha ha ha ha ha har de har. you zany married couples...