Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Las Vegas: The Belated Report:Part 1: The Wedding

As I mentioned previously on the "old Robot" (which is what I call this blog when mentioning it at business conventions, revival meetings, and Powerpoint presentations), I got married in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to write about the wedding and trip since I got back to Austin, but I'm also the kind of person who hates hearing about other people's weddings and I never envisioned this blog as a place to talk about my private life. I figure enough of my personality comes through without anyone having to read personal details about me. Some people do a great job writing about their private lives, but I don't think I'm one of them. However, it was a strange, absurd, wonderful week, and I feel like writing at least a little something about the interesting turn my life has taken. First of all, I can't fucking believe I'm married. I never thought I would be married at the age of 27, and I never really had the desire to get married before I asked my girlfriend late last year. So why the hell did I do it? I can't really answer that. It was an impulsive move, and it just sort of felt right. It's not explainable. I was having second thoughts a few days before the ceremony, mostly along the lines of "things are going good right now, we've been together for five years, why screw it up by getting married, it's just a bullshit phony ceremonial boring tradition, will I turn boring once I get married, etc., etc." Once the wedding actually started, though, it was really meaningful, it felt right, and I was happy about it. I made a good decision, and I feel really good about it, but I really have no way of explaining why. I'm also not a wedding advocate or zealot, so I won't be preaching to anyone about how great marriage is and how you should do it immediately. We had a couple of acquaintances and friends freak out on us because they had been dating as long or longer than Kristy and I, and they felt like we were putting pressure on them, which is a total crock of shit. Some people get so weird about weddings. I'm not making any value judgments about your life or pushing you to do anything. Stop being weird. I make all of my major life decisions by feel, not plan, and it works for me. If something works better for you, then do it and shut up about it. Everybody should do whatever the hell they want and everybody else should leave them alone to do it. Most people were supportive and happy and great, though, including everyone who attended, so I really have no complaints. Okay, enough about my personal life. If you want to see the wedding footage on the Internet, click here. If you would like to see what we looked like, click here. If you would like to see our name in lights (the best part of a Vegas wedding), click here. The next post will be more fun, I promise.

1 comment:

Spacebeer said...

I was having second thoughts the day or so before the wedding too -- not about being with Josh, but about undergoing all the stress involved in actually getting married (even in a relatively planning-free place like Vegas) and in attempting to coordinate so many people to actually attend the wedding. Once we were up there, I was really glad that we were doing it, and really glad that I'd addressed so many dam invitations so that we had lots of family and friends there. It gave the whole thing a nice feeling. I think I saw three or four other brides at the chapel in the half an hour that we were there, and none of them had more than a couple of guests. I was glad we had a bunch.

Finally, you would not believe how much comic material we get out of "husband" and "wife" -- getting married is totally worth it just for that. There isn't much humor in "boyfriend," but "husband" is comic gold. Just take my word for it.