Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Punching people in the face (Dos and Don'ts)

Hey everybody. Read an old post from August called "Rock Show" first. As you may be aware, especially if you just read the old post, I suggested that punching the singer/guitarist of This Microwave World in the face would get you into a Kirk Cameron-sanctioned corner of fundamentalist Christian heaven. Said singer works at the video store where I always rent my movies. When I was renting my movies today, he asked me if I still wanted to punch him in the face, and he let it be known that he thought I had gone way too far in telling others to punch him in the face. I told him he should be prepared for criticism if he gets on stage and that I thought it was pretty obvious I wasn't being serious about the whole fisticuffs part of the post. It was a fairly unpleasant conversation, especially since I don't enjoy conflict, and this particular video store has my favorite selection in town and is on the way home from my job. But, I have to admit, he might have a (very small) point. He chooses to get on stage and perform, opening himself up to criticism. I choose to print harsh criticisms of his band on a website that anyone in the world with an Internet connection can read, so I should be able to take it when I get some criticism of my own. Maybe he's right. Maybe I shouldn't have suggested punching him in the face. So, I take it back. Not what I said about his band. That still stands. Just about the punching in the face stuff. People everywhere, even affected hipsters, deserve to walk the streets of their cities and towns without fear of being socked in the face by random weirdos searching for a 1980s child star-approved fire and brimstone afterlife. So, please don't punch this guy in the face, dear readers, and don't punch anyone else, either. I apologize for suggesting a good punching was in order. If you have been punched because of my website, I will pay your medical bills or buy you a drink, whichever you prefer. Just ask me the next time I'm in the video store, if I'm not banned now. I hope you have a fulfilling, punch-free rest of your life, and I still dislike your band.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn...all this time i've been punching people in the face and now you tell me i can't? shoot. that messes with my whole week.

amanda
www.receptionista.com