Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The last Conor Oberst post ever, I swear

I may have been a bit too hasty in my dismissal of Bright Eyes' protest song, "When the President Talks to God." Upon further inspection, I've discovered a troubling accusation against our current commander-in-chief that I feel deserves investigation. Mr. Oberst, your anthem may have more layers than an onion. I apologize.
Let's look at the final verse again:
When the president talks to God
Does he ever think that maybe he's not?
That that voice is just inside his head
When he kneels next to the presidential bed
Does he ever smell his own bullshit
When the president talks to God?

Oh my god! I can't believe I overlooked the explosive allegations in the second to last line! I have been shamed! This question, "Does he ever smell his own bullshit?" is a disturbing one. Oberst has, apparently, been given covert information. I don't know who his sources are, but I'm going to assume they are from the highest level of our federal government. Evidently, when our president defecates, this defecation is colloquially referred to as "bullshit," and the possibility exists that he may catch a whiff of this excretion. I assumed this statement to be a metaphor representing Bush's deceptions. However, if this line were a mere metaphor, the line would obviously have been delivered as, "Does he ever smell his own shit?" Instead, Oberst has cleverly and slyly revealed to us that our president excretes "bullshit." What a bombshell! We have been clued in, finally, to the horrible truth that our president is either a magical bull who has cloaked himself in human disguise, or a half-man, half-bull creature hell-bent on destroying the earth through secret missives delivered by "God," obviously a code name for either a sinister zookeeper or an even larger, more powerful super-bull, or bull-man. God help us all, and my apologies to you, Captain Bright Eyes. Goodnight, you princes of Maine, you kings of New England.

Reading: Essays in Pragmatism by William James
Listening to: some radio show and Chappaquiddick Skyline

3 comments:

Traci Drummond said...

Maybe W. stands for Minotaur.

Old Stallion said...

At first I was happy that Josh finally saw the brilliance of Bright Eyes. Now however, I think Josh may have been sarcastic in this post. Using sarcasm against a man as sincere and caring as Bright Eyes is just wrong. Plus I don't even think Josh's criticism is right. Doesn't Oberst "doubt" that the President smells his own bullshit? Maybe it is the questionable status of the presidential production of bullshit that gives Oberst pause in endorsing belief in this statement. Maybe Oberst is trying tell us something about believing facts about poop? Maybe we should give the cute kangeroo wearing motherfucker a chance! So there you have it. Dickless Rocker 1, Josh 43.

Spacebeer said...

I think maybe he is saying that the president shits in his bed, and then accidently smells it (or does he?) when he kneels down to pray. Also that he is a bull. That is obviously in there.