Monday, June 27, 2005

If specious reasoning were Rice Krispies, c. 1986 Washington Times columnist John Lofton would have a lot of fucking boxes of Rice Krispies

Since we got DSL last week and I can finally watch streaming video on the compute-box at home, I've been watching Frank Zappa's 1986 appearance on CNN's "Crossfire" multiple times. I'm going to go out on a limb and declare it Zappa's finest work of the eighties. At any rate, it makes a few things abundantly clear. Tom Braden was a pretty ineffective leftist spokesperson, Novak seems to have some common sense but wants to have it both ways, I've only seen 20 episodes of "Crossfire" in my life (liberal estimate) but I can say without fear of being proven wrong that John Lofton is the stupidest man to ever grace that particular program or the newspaper business, and it's a shame that someone as intelligent and vital as Zappa had to die so early even though his best work was behind him. This 19-year-old TV clip has given me a lot of pleasure in the last couple of days, but it's kind of depressing to hear Zappa say that Reagan is pushing the U.S. toward a "fascist theocracy" considering who we've got running the show now. It's even more depressing to think that Zappa, Bill Hicks, and Hunter S. Thompson are no longer around to spread the gospel of informed, humorous, pretense-free, common sense when we need it most. Who's on our side now? Just this nut-twat (speaking of specious reasoning...). I've got an idea. Let's fight fascism with idiocy. Fantastic. You're making us all look stupid. Stop it. Why is everything so fucking dumb? I'm going to eat some Rice Krispies. Whooo!

No comments: