Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Splat! Bort! Zert!

Hey, everybody. Go over to my friend Joolie's blog and check out the dick puncher button. You'll be glad you did.
I saw Only Angels Have Wings (Howard Hawks) last night at the Alamo Drafthouse. It was pretty great, which didn't really surprise me since every Howard Hawks film I've seen has been great. It was part of the Austin Film Society's Jean Arthur retrospective, but it wasn't one of Arthur's best roles. She seems a little too polite and subdued to be a Hawks woman. She has a couple of really funny scenes, but the reason to see the movie is Cary Grant and his interactions with Thomas Mitchell and Richard Barthelmess.
You know, I always mention what movies I've been watching, but I never mention what books I read or music I listen to. This is probably because music is such an ongoing constant around the apartment that it would be too hard to effectively document and name-dropping a bunch of authors could make me look like a pretentious twat. But, this blog is also a way for me to keep a record of what I've been doing, something I can go back to and check out what I was listening to/watching/reading at a particular time. So I should mention that other stuff too.
Currently reading: Searches & Seizures by Stanley Elkin
Last big music splurge: Doug Gillard-Salamander, John Frusciante-Inside of Emptiness, Isis-Panopticon, Flat Earth Society-Isms, Ted Leo + Pharmacists-Shake the Sheets, Neko Case-The Tigers Have Spoken, and The Residents-Commercial Album.



1 comment:

Spacebeer said...

I thought the movie last night was pretty great as well, although it took me a little while to get into it. I was trying to explain that to my hus-dude last night, and couldn't really get out why that was. I think part of it is because Jean Arthur just didn't seem to be living up to her potential in it. She was fine, but she didn't get a chance (with some exceptionally funny scenes) to do that natural sort of back and forth interupting herself banter that she is so good at. And there were large chunks of the movie that Jean Arthur just wasn't in at all. I think it took me a bit to fall into the movie because I was expecting more of her, and not so much of the more serious (and still very interesting) interactions between the male pilots.

And I also think Joolie's buttons are great.