Monday, November 08, 2004

Am I a bad person because I don't like office potlucks?

I guess I'm the devil, but I fucking hate organized, forced leisure activities and potluck dinners, especially those of the holiday variety. Maybe I'm an antisocial prick, but I just get so grumpy when stuff like this happens. Whoopee, it's not bad enough that I have too many organized family dinners, now I have to figure something out for work, too! I can't really cook Thanksgiving food, I've never been a big fan of Thanksgiving food, I don't like anything that's been planned and/or organized, and I just want to go to work in peace without a lot of forced whoop-de-doo. I also get really anxious when there's more than, say, five people in a room unless they happen to be really good friends or I'm pretty drunk, so the idea of 50 people standing around the conference room, exchanging pleasantries and/or witticisms while holding paper plates full of holiday food fills me with complete and utter dread. Maybe I'm an asshole, but why do extroverts and planner-types get to control the world, and why do I look like a dickhead when I don't want to participate?

3 comments:

Spacebeer said...

I agree that there should be some sort of rule where you can't have forced social gatherings without alcohol. Office xmas parties are fine if drinking is involved. Not fine if you have to go and chat over cold casserole and grocery store cake. Also, I don't like cake. This makes 90% of all office food gatherings crappy. Particularly if its my birthday and someone brought a cake for me. You have to eat the cake in that situation. I just drink a lot of coffee and try to pretend that its been liquored up. I often pretend that I have to wait for a really important phone call in my office and accidentally miss the party.

Anonymous said...

you are not a bad person. i hate those forced social gatherings as well. the only thing worse than forced "how was your weekend?" patter is talk about "what you're doing for the holidays."

it's very, very awful and lame and i'm sorry you have to go. perhaps you can come down with the flu and get out of it.

amanda
www.receptionista.com

Anonymous said...

i'd recommend making the following if it's required to bring food ...

http://www.kidskuisine.com/asp/recipe.asp?recipe=104