Thursday, March 03, 2005

The light! It burns my eyes! It burns!

I went to the eye doctor today and my eyes are still dilated. I look like I swallowed about 10 tabs of acid. The light bulb in the room I'm in is hurting my eyes. But that's alright. I'm getting new lenses put in my old frames next week. I'd been having a lot of headaches and trouble seeing in the distance, and now that will end. I had to drive home with those ridiculous plastic sunglasses on after the exam. You'd think people would know what they are by now, but about 20 people looked at me like I was wearing a hat made of neon penises ejaculating cupcakes. When I was stopped at a light, a woman sitting at the bus stop exploded in laughter, nudged the man next to her, and pointed at me. It was a good exercise for me in overcoming self-consciousness. Also, my wife laughed in my face when I came home. I tried to talk to her about what to have for dinner, but she told me, "I'm sorry. I can't talk to you in those things." It's a hard life being the man in the comically oversized fake sunglasses.

Listening to: Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the 80s, Vol. 9 (containing the song that is a microcosm of the entire decade, but oddly enough not a hit, "Dancing in Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop)" by Q-Feel, possibly the most hilariously bad song ever written)
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Currently reading: Nothing But Blue Skies by Thomas McGuane

2 comments:

Spacebeer said...

If only you had kept the Hitler mustache -- together with the gigantic glasses it would have been a fashion hit!

Traci Drummond said...

slow, slow, quick quick slow. (i _love_ that song)