Sunday, December 05, 2004

Unemployment Journal: Day Five

Things haven't been very productive on the writing front, excuses being sickness, lost mail, minor but affordable car trouble (timing not so great, am I right?), ennui and self-loathing, worrying about money, doing a lot of reading, buying music and listening to it, watching movies. Sometimes I think I might have made a mistake quitting the comfortable state job, but I didn't quit my job because I want to be comfortable. Patterns need to be broken for life to move forward. Discomfort, unease, change, uncertainty. These are your friends. You can't spend your life doing something you don't want to do because you're worried about insurance and a steady paycheck. Money is meaningless. Money isn't worth shit. You don't need that much to eat. All you can do with money is spend it. You can save it, but then you end up spending it later. If you never spend it, someone else will spend it after you die. That dollar in your wallet is eventually going to be spent. What else can it do? Nothing. At the same time, I realize that I grew up in the middle class, I'm white, I'm an American, and I have a college education. It's a privilege that I get to quit my job, that I have enough to tide me over three or four months until I'm forced to prostitute myself for rent and turkey sandwiches again. Instead of having a horrible life, I was lucky enough to be born into mediocrity. Hooray for me!
I watched these movies during the weekend:
Intervista (Federico Fellini)
M. Butterfly (David Cronenberg)
Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle (Eric Rohmer)
Written on the Wind (Douglas Sirk)

I bought some music (already budgeted in before I quit the job):
Various-Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol. 1
Dramatics-The Best of the Dramatics
John Frusciante/Josh Klinghoffer-A Sphere in the Heart of Silence
Kaada/Patton-Romances
Oneida-Nice/Splittin' Peaches

I'm also growing my beard again. Right now it's at the stage where it itches and I look like a fucking derelict. Another week or two and maybe I won't look like trash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, PLEASE do NOT grow the beard back. You--and, well, pretty much everyone else--look much better without one.

If you really, really must (and I can't see why anyone must, unless he's a leper or has some other hideous skin condition that shaving would exacerbate), at least wait until you've landed a job.

You will be horribly embarrassed by it someday--trust me!

Just my two cents.

Yours in ex-co-workerliness,

Anon.

Josh Krauter said...

Guess what, Anonymous? I'm not stopping until the beard reaches my knees. Seriously, I don't think I'll be embarrassed by it, and I got a lot of compliments on the beard when I had it last year, though there are a group of beard-haters in the world, obviously including you, whoever you are that is too chickenshit to leave a name. I'm not going to keep it forever (I'm planning on going back and forth between beardless and bearded for the foreseeable future), and I don't think it looks bad. I'm not planning on seeking a job for a few months, so if I don't have to shave until I get a job interview, my life is that much smoother. I'm not trying to impress anybody, I already have a lady (who loves the beard, by the way). Also, Anonymous, our precious life time is slowly draining away with the passing of each second. Why worry about other people's facial hair and send them emails telling them they look terrible and embarrassing? I don't know who you are, so I can't reply with a caustic putdown of your choice of haircut/jacket/favorite seafood dish. Play fair.

Spacebeer said...

I love beards -- I think they look great. I really think Josh looks awesome with a beard. In fact, the beard was originally my idea, and I think Beard I worked out great. I was sad to see it go. Ever since he shaved it off, I've been encouraging him to grow Beard II. I think Josh looks great without a beard too, but I think the beard is super sexy. I would be happy if Josh wore the beard for the rest of his life. It is all cute and super red and its fun to kiss a guy with a beard.

Its fine if you don't like beards. Its even fine if you don't like Josh's beard. Its not fine to give criticizing beard advice and then not sign your name. Are you afraid of the beard mafia or something?

And I could see how someone could potentially be emabarased about a fruity goatee, smarmy moustache, or hip facial hair concoction, but who could ever be embarased by just a regular beard?

Beard-hater, reveal thyself!

K.